Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Sanaz Mostaghim
Sanaz Mostaghim is a full professor of Computer Science at the Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg.
She received her PhD degree in electrical engineering and computer science under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Jürgen Teich at the University of Paderborn in 2004. In her PhD thesis, she worked on bio-inspired optimization methods such as multi-objective evolutionary algorithms and particle swarm optimization methods which she applied to problems in computational chemistry and Antenna Design at PaSCo.
Sanaz joined the Computational Laboratory (CoLab) of the computational science department at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich in Switzerland in 2004. As a postdoctoral fellow, she worked together with Prof. Werner Halter from the Geology Department at ETHZ on quantification of multi-component silicate melts. She applied the simulation-based optimization methods and particle swarm optimization to this thermodynamic problem.
In 2006, Sanaz joined Institute AIFB at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) and started working on her habilitation in applied computer science which she successfully finished in 2012. The title of her habilitation thesis is: Self-organized Parallel Optimization.
In 2010, Sanaz was a visiting scholar at Swinburne University of Technology, Melbourne, Australia and in 2013 she has been a visiting scholar at the Yale University, New Haven, USA, where she visited the Social Robotic Laboratory.
Since October 2013, she is working at the faculty of computer science at Otto von Guericke University of Magdeburg.
In 2014, Sanaz received the prestigious DFG Heisenberg-Professorship at KIT.
Sanaz is an active member in international communities. She is the vice president of IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (starting from 2021) and served as adcom member for two terms (2015-2020).
She is a technical committee member at IEEE CIS and since 2012 is serving as an associate editor for IEEE transactions on evolutionary computation and since 2020 as an associate editor of IEEE Transactions on AI. She was the chair of task force Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization of IEEE-CIS and the founding chair for task force Optimization Methods in Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (OMBB) of IEEE-CIS (chair: 2013-2015).
Sanaz has a bachelor and a master's degree in electrical engineering and biomedical engineering, which she received in 1998 and 2001.
Here you find Sanaz's page on AcademiaNet.
Scientific Activities (Selected)
- since 2022: Member of Saxon Academy of Sciences
- since 2022: Appointed as a member of advisory board "Digitalrat" at the Ministry of Infrastructure and Digitalization, State Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
- since 2022: Member of the advisory board of NFDI4ING: The National Research Data Infrastructure for Engineering Sciences, Germany
- since 2022: Deputy chair, Graduate Academy of the University of Magdeburg
- since 2021: Vice President for member activities at IEEE Computational Intelligence Society
- since 2020: Member of the senate of the University of Magdeburg
- since 2020: Member of the research center: "Forschungszentrum Dynamische Systeme (CDS): Systems Engineering"
- since 2016: Deputy chair and member of the executive board Informatics Germany (Fakultätentag Informatik der Bundesrepublik Deutschland)
- since 2020: IEEE CIS Distinguished Lecturer
- since 2020: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on AI
- since 2012: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation
- since 2020: Vertrauendozentin, Stiftung der Deutschen Wirtschaft (SDW)
- since 2010: Member of Evolutionary Computation Technical Committee (ECTC) - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS)
- 2022: Conference Chair, IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation, Italy
- 2018 - 2022: Member of the advisory board on digitalization, Ministry of Economy, Science and Digitalization, State Sachsen-Anhalt, Germany
- 2021: General Chair, IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, December 2021, Orlando, USA
- 2021: Chair, IEEE Symposium on Swarm Intelligence
- 2021: Track Chair Evolutionary Multi-Criteria Optimization, ACM GECCO 2021
- 2015 - 2020: Elected member of Administrative Committee (ADCOM) - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (IEEE-CIS)
- 2017 - 2020: Chair and member of the Steering Board, IEEE Transactions on Games (ToG)
- 2020: Chair, Multi-Criteria Decision-Making Symposium, IEEE Symposium Series on Computational Intelligence, December 2020, Australia
- 2020: Track Chair, Evolutionary Multi-Criteria Optimization, ACM GECCO, July 2020, Mexico
- 2019: Program Chair, Evolutionary Multicriterion Optimization Conference, March 2019, Michigan, USA
- 2019: General Chair, IEEE Conference on Games, 20-23 August 2019, London, UK
- since 2019: Member of 4ING Board (4ING der Dachverein der Fakultätentage der Ingenieurwissenschaften und der Informatik an Universitäten).
- 2016 - 2020: Member of the extended senate of the University of Magdeburg
- 2018 - 2019: Planning Group Member for Mathematics/Informatics/Engineering - Japanese-German-American Frontiers of Science, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 2012 - 2018: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Cybernetics
- 2016 - 2018: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence (TETCI)
- 2016 - 2018: Associate Editor IEEE Transactions on Systems
- 2017 - 2018: Chair IEEE CIS Young Professionals
- 2017 - 2018: Planning Group Member for Mathematics/Informatics/Engineering - Japanese-German Frontiers of Science, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
- 2015 - 2016: Chair IEEE Women in Computational Intelligence (WCI)
- 2015 - 2016: Member of IEEE Women in Engineering Committee (IEEE WIE)
- 2013 - 2014: Editorial Board of Soft Computing (Springer)
- 2010 - 2014: Member of Intelligent Systems Applications Technical Committee - IEEE Computational Intelligence Society (CIS)
- 2011 - 2018: Chair of the Task Force Evolutionary Multi-objective Optimization IEEE - CIS
- 2013 - 2015: Founding Chair of the Task Force Optimization Methods in Bioinformatics and Bioengineering (OMBB) IEEE - CIS
- 2011 - 2014: Member of the board of trusties “Applied Informatics Karlsruhe” (AIK) e. V.
- 2016: Technical Chair World Congress on Computational Intelligence, CEC, Canada
- 2014: Technical Chair World Congress on Computational Intelligence, CEC, China
- 2007 - 2012: Member of faculty board, Faculty of Economic and Business Engineering, KIT
Talks (Only Keynotes, Plenaries and Invited Talks and Panel Discussions)
- 12.02.2021 - Invited Talk: "Collective and Individual Decision-Making in Time Critical Scenarios", Ezra Round Table Seminar Series, Cornell Systems Engineering at Cornell University, USA, --> Link to an interview
- 03.12.2020 - Panel Discussion: "Perspectives on Trust and Intelligence", IEEE SSCI 2020, Canberra, Australia.
- 04.11.2020 - Keynote: "Collective and Individual Decision-Making in Swarm Robotics", International Conference on Robotics, Computer Vision and Intelligent Systems (ROBOVIS 2020), --> Link
- 25.09.2020 - Panel Discussion: "Society and AI - What lies ahead?", Alps Forum, University of St.Gallen, Switzerland.
- 24.07.2020 - Keynote: "Evolutionary Multi-Objective Optimization and Decision-Making in Timely Critical Scenarios", IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence, Glasgow, UK
- 18.10.2019: "Multi-Objective Optimization and Decision-Making for Complex Systems", Workshop on Machine Learning in Model Reduction and Control, Chinese-German Research Foundation Center (CDZ), Shanghai, China.
- 26.04.2019 - Keynote: "Autonomous Decision-Making in Intelligent Technical Systems", Opening Ceremony of AI Lab at OsloMet, Oslo, Norway.
- 19.02.2019 - Keynote: "On-the-Fly Optimization and Decision-Making in Intelligent Systems", 20ème congrès annuel de la société Française de Recherche Opérationnelle et d’Aide à la Décision, Le Havre, France --> Link
- 11.2017 - Keynote: “Multi-Objective Optimiztaion and Decision-Making in Dynamic Environments”, 11th International Conference on Simulated Evolution and Learning, Shenzhen, China
- 29.07.2017 - Plenary Talk: “Decision-making swarms”, World congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI), Vancouver, Canada -> Link
- 08.07.2017 - Keynote: “Multi-criteria Decision-Making Algorithms”, DAAD, Magdeburg
- 29.07.2016 - Keynote: “Swarm Intelligence: from theory to application in technical systems”, IEEE International Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference (CEEC), UK
- 23.09.2015 - Keynote: “Basic Principles of Self-Organization in Technical Systems”, ARCS Conference, Portugal
- 17.02.2012 - Festvortrag: “Invasiv und selbstorganisierend die perfekte Kombination für parallele Algorithmen”, 28. AIK Symposium, KIT, Karlsruhe
Program Committee Member
- Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO (since 2005)
- Evolutionary Multi-Criterion Optimization, EMO (since 2005)
- International Symposium on Aware Computing, ISAC (2010, 2011)
- The Eighth International Conference on Simulated Evolution And Learning SEAL (2010, 2011, 2012)
- Congress on Evolutionary Computation, CEC (since 2005)
- IEEE Symposium on Multi-Criterion Decision-Making MCDM (2007, 2009, 2011)
- The World Conference on Soft Computing in Industrial Applications (since 2006)
- International Conference on Evolutionary Algorithms Theory and Applications ECTA (2011, 2012, 2013)
IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, IEEE Systems, Man, and Cybernetics part B, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Evolutionary Computation Journal, Journal of Artificial Evolution, Journal on Neurocomputing, Journal of Computational Intelligence Research, Journal of Heuristics, Journal of Optimization Methods and Software, International Journal of Soft Computing, International Journal of Pattern Recognition and Artificial Intelligence, International Journal of Systems Science, International Journal of Systems Science, Swarm Intelligence Journal, Computational Optimization and Applications, Computational Intelligence, Operations Research
Link to --> Publications
- Sanaz Mostaghim
- Self-organized Parallel Optimization
- Habilitationsschrift, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), 2012
- Sanaz Mostaghim
- Multi-objective Evolutionary Algorithms: Data structures, Convergence and, Diversity
- PhD Thesis, Sharker Verlag, 2004